Thursday, September 24, 2009

Making Web Pages

Well I am quite apprehensive about making the three web pages we have to design for our class this week. The Google link Lisa posted doesn't work for me. So last night I visited the weebly site. I must say it didn't take me long to feel completely lost on this site. I could pick a layout. But I could not upload a picture or add any text. I am not sure why. I was getting frustrated. I am wondering if it is my computer as it hasn't been cooperating with me recently. I really think I need to call a tech person. There are days when all I can do is check my email which always seems to function properly, but I can't get on the Internet. Which naturally is anger inducing!

I have managed to visit several of the sites Lisa posted regarding good and bad web sites. I can clearly see that clutter is not appreciated on a web site a visitor is quickly lost in all of the photos and benign text. Also a good web page needs ease of navigation for the visitor to find their way around. Personally broken links to pages is a pet peeve of mine why have it on your site if you don't make it work.

Hopefully after work today I will find some time to try doing more on the web page design assignment. Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. In Weebly you have to drag "elements" onto your blank template. So if you want a title, picture and text on your page you drag that element onto it from the icons in the Elements menu, above (Elements is one tab, like Design is one tab where you chose your template). Pages is a tab too, which allows you to make new pages both visible as part of your navigation and invisible if you just want to link to them from a page but don't want them to show up on every page as part of the site navigation. Ask me more about this if you don't get it after trying these hints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue,
    I think that one of the most important things for one of these web-site design services to have, in terms of its value for use in the classroom, is ease of use.
    You mention that you felt really lost with the Weebly, and while I didn't do too much on that site, the fact that it confused you so much is a turn off right there. Now, if it was your computer, that's a bummer. I recently had computer issues of my own, and thank goodness they have been taken care of! But if it is just that the website is confusing, than it is probably not the best fit for you. It's Sunday, so I don't know how far you've gotten in this already, and maybe I'm too late here, but if you have Gmail, there is a link in the top left collection of links from your inbox that says sites, and from there you can find where to build your google site.
    Good luck!
    Katie May

    ReplyDelete