Sunday, October 18, 2009

Bernie Dodge and the Pitfalls of WebQuests

First I must mention that I didn't have access to any high speed computers this week. So the seven and a half minute video that was posted for us to watch took me nearly a half hour to sit through! With the sketchy off and on speaking this is what I got out of it.

There are over three million WebQuests out there now and not all of them are good. Just finding a WebQuest that is worthy is now a challenge. Finding an appropriate subject with real world application is another challenge. When will the student ever use this? I thought about my subject of mystery novel genre and feel that deductive reasoning learned from reading mysteries is certainly a useful tool in real life. You may never become a detective but the skills can come in handy when deciding if someone is truthful or not. I also realise that my subject is probably not a new one. I am sure that there have been several WebQuests made with the same lesson plan in mind.

The next piece Dr. Dodge spoke about that was of interest to me was creating, predicting, and deciding. These three ideas come to the forefront of making a good usable WebQuest. I am reflecting on the questions I have posted on my quest and if they attain the highest standards for learning. Using the Bloom's taxonomy pyramid to be sure that the students can take away a higher form of learning from what I have posted and intend for them to do creatively and collectively.

1 comment:

  1. I like Bernie's 3 learning ideas "creating, predicting and deciding" too, they make a useful tool for critiquing a lesson.

    Don't make me remind you I warned you about needing broadband for this class ;-D Sorry you had such a slow view. Anything you need from me regarding the technology needed for class? For instance next week we'll begin using online presentation programs, you're going to need broadband for exploring them and building a rough draft presentation.

    ReplyDelete