Sunday, November 15, 2009

Ken Robinson

I was amazed by what Ken Robinson said, and I agree whole heatedly. I remember sitting in on a Language Arts class where I enjoyed the teacher greatly, as well as the lesson plan, but I was distracted from the class thinking how can I write when I have no imagination anymore? I remember being the age of the students and I was much more creative and less inhibited by the consequences of my creativity. Now I feel ashamed if I have an original idea. How can that be - it must be something I heard from someone else.

There seems to be so many students that are completely lost at school. My son being one of them. Conventional wisdom can't touch anything inside him. He is a smart kid, but school has taught him there is no hope in the world for him. No job that will excite him. Academics don't do anything for him. He can compute math, read, and write, but has no drive to learn more. He thinks his only options for life are to be a logger or truck driver. Both noble professions, but not the end of his limit. As a parent I am angry that I see so many young men in schools with the exact same feelings. This is one of the reasons that I wanted to become an educator. There must be something we can do to help stimulate these kids and help them feel successful and creative.

I don't know what the answer is, but I feel the education system needs a revamping. So few children are supported in a way that helps them flourish and become what inspires them. Perhaps it's just fate that leads people to what it is that sparks the flames of desire in what they do. Some people intuitively know what it is that drives them and others must try several things before they get a feel for what it is that gives them purpose. The essential thing is to keep looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment